At Floor Coverings International in Pembroke, we want to help you make the most informed decision possible about your new floors. Today we’d like to tell you all about the great qualities of bamboo floors. Bamboo has become an increasingly popular flooring option that’s both earth-friendly and durable. Here are a few things that make bamboo a flooring option that deserves to be considered alongside long-standing favorites like hardwood.
- Eco-friendliness. A bamboo plant is ready to harvest after just seven years. Most trees used for hardwood, like oak, ash and maple, can take up to 50 years before they are ready for a harvest. This is the main reason that bamboo is a great wood to choose if you are looking for something sustainable.
- Beauty. Bamboo offers as much elegance as hardwoods. It also comes in a variety of strains, so you can choose between a lighter or darker look depending on what will look best in your home.
- Durability. Like hardwood, the durability of bamboo differs between varieties. That being said, Natural Bamboo has almost twice the durability of red oak, so it can certainly stand up to daily use.
- Cost. Most of the time bamboo is actually slightly less expensive than hardwood. This makes it a great option for the pocketbook in addition to the environment!
- Cleaning. Bamboo is surprisingly easy to clean. The best method is to use mild soap and damp mop. There are bamboo cleaners out there, but generally even these aren’t required.
- Water Resistance. Relative to hardwood, bamboo resists water damage and warping fairly well. Spills should still be taken care of, but the damage should be minimal if proper care is taken.
Call Floor Coverings International of Pembroke today to get your new bamboo floors installed!
Photo Credit: Kalakutskiy Mikhail